Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Public art discovery.

One of my favourite things is when I spy some kind of public art while I'm out and about. Last year I started seeing these two stickers on the metro and on lampposts. Recently I found that the two greatest TDs in the history of the universe* were serving as gatekeepers to the park right behind my building. Unfortunately, since then the Ted Danson one (on the right) has been all but ripped off:

TD Power

TD Power CLOSEUP!

They remind me a little bit of those OBEY/Andre the Giant stickers and posters. I like how sneaky they are, and how they just assume a familiarity with pop culture without making any apology for it. In our relationship with pop culture, there is a tendency to offer up a kind of goofy, half-serious veneration and immortalization of icons, especially those that may be well-known but not necessarily widely-hailed. In other words, no one's saying that Ted Danson is Jesus, but there's a kind of affection there that's cheeky and very real. Sometimes you've just got to give props to Who's the Boss, you know?

One of my sources informs me that these are made and put up by a friend of a friend of a friend. Urban legend in the making?

*or at least in the latter half of the twentieth century

2 comments:

Artemis said...

There's another just down the road from the building! It's on the Canada Post grey box. Are those even regular mailboxes?

KG said...

I have no idea, I think they're some kind of Canada Post administrative thing. For the mailman to keep his lunch in, maybe?